To provide a safe environment for the residents of New River Ranch in order to experience all the benefits of our property has to offer, including our Equine Program. The Equine Program teaches horsemanship, care and maintenance of another living creature but also incorporates horses into a therapeutic setting. Using EAP, Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and the collaborative efforts between a licensed therapist and a horse professional working with our residents and horses to address treatment goals.
- Horses are large and powerful, which creates a natural opportunity for some to overcome fear and develop confidence. This provides wonderful metaphors when dealing with other intimidating and challenging situations in life.
- Horses are similar to humans in that they are social animals with defined roles within their herd. They have distinct personalities, attitudes and moods.
- Horses require commitment, whether in caring for them or working with them. In an era of immediate gratification, horses require people to be engaged in physical and mental work in order to be successful; a valuable characteristic in all aspects of life.
Benefits of Equine Activities
- Improves confidence and self-esteem by instilling an overall sense of well-being, accomplishment and responsibility
- Increases positive emotional behavior, social Interaction and, life skills.
- eaches accountability, communication skills and assertiveness.